Monday, February 8, 2010

Musings of a Super Bowl nature

 
  
  
Coat: Club Monaco, thrifted;
Top: vintage, thrifted;
Jeans: Ann Taylor Loft;
Tights: Anne Klein;
Shoes: DSW.
Necklace: Beacon's Closet, NYC;
Sailboat pin: Thrifted.

    This was my Super Bowl outfit -- I wanted to be as comfortable as possible while sitting on a couch, so I wore my recent thrifting finds.The coat is my favorite part of the ensemble. It reminds me of a Navy peacoat, so I played that up with my nautical accessories. I can't wait to restyle it.
    The best laid schemes of mice and men often get screwed up -- I had every intention of getting these photos posted last night, but my computer was going slow. The best way to combat an irksome computer? Taking a little cat nap on my bed. The nap turned into full-on sleep and I ended up forgetting the photos and missing the last 10 minutes of the Super Bowl. Oh, well.

        I am not a big fan of pro football. I can get excited about college football and basketball, but I just never got into pro sports. I am one of those people who gets excited over commercials. I took an advertising class one year and my professor kept talking about how wonderful it is to study advertising in the spring semester because you are required to watch Super Bowl and Oscars commercials for class. Tough assignment for sure, haha.
      I wasn't really into most of the commercials from this year,  because it seemed like a lot of them were about men complaining about the women  that are ruining their given rights to be 'manly men.'  I understand the Super Bowl is supposed to cater to mostly male interests because of its supposed testosterone-driven audience, but millions of women watch as well and many are passionate fans of the game. I found a couple of these ads offensive, alienating and most of all, embarrassing to the companies using them. Some of you might disagree and think I'm missing the humor in a few of them, and that's totally fine and I respect your opinion if you do. But I think these commercials didn't make either gender look so great and the advertisers missed an opportunity.  Jezebel has a good gallery here of some of those ads. 
End rant.

        I did, however, really like Google's 'Parisian Love' commercial. Simple, to the point and sweet.


      Did you watch the Super Bowl, and if so, did you have any favorite moments from the game or the commercials?



signature1 by you.

19 comments:

  1. I love the pattern and color of that shirt! It's wonderful! And the necklace and pin are the perfect touches.

    My niece and I were instant messaging throughout the game and we said the same thing about those "what happened to the manly men" ads - not only were they not aspirational (aren't car ads usually?) but they were, as you said, alienating and embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Google ad.

    The current of misogyny running through many of the ads left both M. and I feeling pretty disturbed. The Dodge ad was the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your coat and your shirt has the cutest pattern. always loved that pattern but never found a piece that pulled it off. your shirt does! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The google ad was definitely the best of the night... I was not impressed with any of the others. I was really annoyed by megan Fox in the bathtub, and all the go daddy commercials. It was just like lame company commercial night. What IS godaddy.com???

    oh, and I like your look, posting my superbowl look today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, a red houndstooth tee? What a score!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the small detail with your pin and necklace. Adorable.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the thrifted top! And that commercial is just plain precious--may have to re-post later. I went to a party, but stayed for about an hour and really just ate delicious food...didn't even glance at the screen until a Harry Potter preview came on ;) Not a sports fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, your jewelry is so lovely in this post! Love the ship imagery, and the little red sailboat on the lapel of your jacket is so cutely place and coordinates so well with your (also cute) houndstooth shirt from your latest thrifting haul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwww that google commercial was beyond cute and so well done. :) i do agree with you on those superbowl commercials this year though. i get that they're trying to appeal to the audience majority (men) but sometimes they over do it.

    this outfit is cute though, and i love how you thought to add some nautical accessories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That little ship necklace is lovely. And I adored that Google commercial. There weren't very many memorable commercials this year, but that was definitely one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cute finds! You do really well at thrifting! You should do a primer on how you shop at thrift stores!

    as for the super bowl- I LOVED it, as I am a die hard Saints fan and New Orleanian. It was so great to see the team I've been watching since my childhood finally make it to the Super Bowl!

    My outfit for yesterday was pretty much all out Saints gear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg i am with you 100% about the sexism of the commericals!!! i couldn't believe that particular car commercial--it made me fuming mad!!!
    and you (like me) dressed in pretty neutral colors for the game.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Joann! I really appreciate it.

    I really like this outfit - I love seeing people create an outfit around jeans that is casual but still manages to be chic, which is what you've done.

    As far as the Superbowl goes, I have no comments ... not being an American, it doesn't register on my radar!

    A xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute jacket!

    I didn't watch the Superbowl, but I did watch Titanic :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute outfit.. I love your necklace. It's so sweet. :) I missed the superbowl this year.. ha ha, who am I kidding I don't watch sports.. but I do love the commercials that come out.. too bad I missed those too. :( That Google one is pretty awesome though.

    xx Love & Aloha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I was so stoked about this game (and so many of my female friends were, too)!!! I rocked the gold and black for Nola, but I forgot to photograph it cuz I got so excited. Love your look - the pea coat looks great with the red checks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a cute top! and i love how you propped the collar of your jacket up :)

    heyfancypants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooo love that you wore your salvation army finds. They look great on you! I especially love that you added the little sailboat pin. So cute! :)

    ps I wasn't that thrilled with the super bowl commercials as well.

    Wanderlusting Fool

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails